Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
The organisation of this subject area is as flexible as possible, taking into account the specific aspects of the teaching of mathematics, the internal logic of which determines to a large extent the order in which the notions must be presented.
It makes for varied programmes of study and the possibility of refocusing your direction late into the course and offers a very solid foundation of theoretical fundamentals that will be vital in the future. Students who foresee graduating into active life will be able to find in this programme teaching that is adapted to their particular plans by choosing a set of teaching units that is less theoretical but covers a spectrum of knowledge that is wider or geared toward applications.
* Master´s degree or engineering school.
* Preparation for a competitive exam for recruitment into a public position: CAPES in mathematics in particular but also entry into IUFM in order to become a school teacher or administrative competitive exam.
* Banking sectors, in insurance or industry.
Obtaining the bachelor´s degree in mathematics requires the validation of 180 ECTS, namely, 60 credits per year (L1, L2 and L3) and the verification of the following conditions:
* At least 90 credits must correspond to the core TUs in mathematics.
* At least 30 credits must correspond to the initial TUs (chemistry, electronics,computer science, mechanics, physics, etc.), of which 12 should be at L2.
* At least 6 credits must correspond to language TUs.
* At least 6 and maximum 24 credits must correspond to methodology, project, professional integration, scientific or general culture TUs.
The curriculum consists of the following TUs:
Period 1 (30 ECTS) :
* 12 ECTS: series and integrals
* 6 ECTS: arithmetic
* 6 ECTS: initial TU
* 6 free ECTS: for example, language TU and scientific culture TU
Period 2 (30 ECTS) :
* 6 ECTS: functions of several variables and multiple integrals
* 6 ECTS: quadratic forms and geometry - 6 ECTS: probabilities and elementary statistics or graphs and combinatorics
* 6 ECTS: initial TU
* 6 ECTS: TU in mathematics or initial TU or 6 free ECTS
The subject area offers five possible areas of focus.
* Focusing on algebra, analysis, digital analysis or probabilities is intended for students who wish to continue to do a master´s degree. The algebra and analysis programmes are recommended for those who are planning to prepare for the agrégation* exam after one year of a master´s.
* One of the areas of focus is designed for students who wish to stop at the level of the licence in order to prepare for the CAPES exam or enter into active working life.
Long-distance learning is also offered for level L2 (in collaboration with CNED) as well as for level L3. It is intended for all students who cannot take the course on site (students of grandes écoles, working students, those restarting studies, etc.).
Evening courses are also offered.
Students who have a bac S and after obtaining the 60 ECTS of a first-year licence (L1) with mathematics as the main subject. For example, the L1- MIME programme (mathematics, computer science, mechanics, electronics) of the integration cycle at UPMC. Students who have done one or two years of preparatory classes for the grandes écoles can enter at level L2 or L3 after their application has been examined. Students who wish to change the direction of their studies after failing in PCEM and after their application has been examined.
Requests for registration are accepted from mid-April.
After administrative registration, teaching registration is carried out by the university teaching team.