|Application deadline:||July 5th; International students before April 15th|
|Tuition fee:||Not specified|
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Duration full-time:||48 months|
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Electrical Power Engineering is a very classic branch of industry, yet it is also very important in today´s world. An electrical engineer must have a solid foundation in the basic disciplines of mathematics, physics and engineering, knowledge that is common to all branches of industrial engineering, and specific knowledge of electricity as well as up-to-date know-how of new technologies.
Professional Opportunities for an Electrical Power Engineering Graduate
The professional opportunities for an Electrical Power Engineering graduate are highly varied; some of these professional activities are the development of electrical projects, domotics, maintenance of electrical facilities, wind and solar power generation, etc.
Studying Electrical Power Engineering at Universidad Carlos III of Madrid
The study program for the Degree in Electrical Power Engineering is taught at Universidad Carlos III of Madrid is very up-to-date. Most of the professors of this degree program frequently work on projects with companies and on research projects. In particular, Universidad Carlos III of Madrid has certain renown in the world of wind power systems for the production of electrical energy. This contact with industry and the vanguard of research makes the subject content in the Electrical Engineering degree very practical and up-to-date.
This degree is oriented towards the following professional profiles:
* Carrying out electrical engineering projects: lines, substations, MT and BT systems, electrical equipping of industrial facilities and industrial plants, etc.
* Electrical system operation, control and supervision
* Network, equipment and electrical machinery maintenance, in AT, MT and BT.
* Design, construction, setting up and operation of electromagnetic and drive systems
* Dimensioning, construction and setting up of electrical engineering systems with renewable energies, especially wind and photovoltaic power.
These professional profiles are achieved in the study program through the adequate selection of elective subjects, which complement the specific education that is common to the degree. There is not a specific grouping of subjects (pathways, blocks of electives, etc.) as the degree already is, in itself, sufficiently specific.
All the subjects in this program are offered in English and Spanish except those marked with an (#) wich are only offered in Spanish.
First Year - First Semester
* Linear Algebra
* Calculus I
* Information Skills
* Writing and Communication Skills
First Year - Second Semester
* Engineering Graphics
* Calculus II
* Physics Complements
* Chemical Basis of Engineering
Second Year - First Semester
* Thermal Engineering
* Machine Mechanics
* Industrial Automation I
* Electrical Power Engineering Fundamentals
* Materials Science and Engineering
Second Year - Second Semester
* Engineering Fluid Mechanics
* Mechanics of Structures
* Introduction to Engineering Management
* Fundamentals of Electronic Engineering
* Production and Manufacturing Systems
* Environmental Technology
Third Year - First Semester
* Industrial Electronics (#)
* High Voltage Switchgear and Power Lines (#)
* Magnetic Circuits and Transformers (#)
* Control Engineering
* Skills: English
Third Year - Second Semester
* Electric Power Systems (#)
* A.C. Electrical Machines (#)
* Low Voltage Electrical Installations (#)
* Skills: Humanities (#)
Electives (choose one):
- Hybrid Electric Power Systems (#)
- High Voltage Engineering (#)
- Digital Systems Applied to Electrical Power Engineering (#)
- Home and Building Electronic System and Lighting (#)
- Computer-Aided Power System Modelling (#)
Fourth Year - First Semester
* Digital Systems Applied to Electrical Power Engineering
* Wind and Photovoltaic Generation (#)
* Electrical Drives (#)
* Electricity Markets (#)
* Electrical Power Plants I (#)
Fourth Year - Second Semester
* Project Management in Electrical Engineering (#)
* Electric Power Plants II (#)
* Industrial Organization
* Bachelor Thesis
Electives (choose one):
- Power System Operation and Control (#)
- Electrical Networks Management (#)
- Engineering Management II (#)
- Professional Practices in Firms (**) (#)
The student must have a solid prior education, particularly in mathematics, chemistry, physics and biology. Observational and analytical skills, capacity and speed in mathematical calculations and quantifiable problem solving, as well as logical and abstract reasoning are also very important. Moreover, it is advisable to possess the capability to establish relationships between observable reality and its description through mathematical models.
Personal attitudes of initiative, ability to cooperate on a team, individual work organization, ability to work under pressure, leadership, responsibility and interest in the practical application of knowledge in order to solve real problems are highlyvalued Finally, manual skills in instrument or equipment handling will be widely used during the years of study and afterwards.