|Application deadline:||You are advised to apply as early as possible|
|Tuition fee:|| |
|Start date:||September 2014|
|Credits:|| 180 ECTS |
|Delivery mode:||On Campus|
Become a StudyPortals member and get access to exclusive information, like scholarships and student reviews, related to your favourite programme!
Are you already a StudyPortals Member?
Find all members only information here
Journalism is fascinating, rewarding and influential. In a world hungry for information about issues ranging from global warming to fashion and from armed conflict to football, the ultra-competitive modern media market needs versatile, multimedia journalists with cutting-edge academic and vocational skills and a highly developed awareness of ethics.
In this prestigious, professionally accredited programme, you study for an honours degree that includes history, politics and law while completing the National Council for the Training of Journalists' Diploma in Journalism and learning radio, television and online skills required by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council.
Tutors include working reporters and columnists, former editors of national newspapers, radio and television programmes and magazines, network broadcasters and web publishers. Their professional expertise is reinforced by excellent academic teaching by leading historians, political scientists and lawyers.
The course is based in state-of-the-art newsrooms complete with dedicated radio and television studios, editing and production facilities. From the outset, you learn to write and report in text, on air and for the internet. Work placements with the KM Group are guaranteed and placements in other news organisations are also available.
Possible careers could include newspaper, broadcast and online reporting and other editorial roles in the news industry or in communications roles for charities, NGOs and campaign groups or political parties.
This degree prepares you to work across the broadcast, print and online media. The skills you acquire include working under pressure to strict deadlines, writing accurate, balanced reports and analysing complex material. You learn to communicate with non-specialised audiences and to present your opinion coherently and with passion. These skills are highly prized by employers in many fields.
Mandatory topics include:
* British Government and Politics
* History of Journalism
* Principles and Practice of Convergent Journalism (Radio, Television and Online)
* Reporting and Writing (Print Journalism)
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
* Documentary Making
* Feature Writing
* Freedom of Expression
* Journalists in Fiction and Film
* Media Law and Ethics
* Multimedia Storytelling
* News Websites and Citizen Reporters
* Reporting Conflict
* Reporting the Environment
* Spin, Propaganda and Investigative Reporting.
Minimum of ABB at A Level, IB Diploma 33 points inc 4 in Mathematics or IB Diploma with 16 points at Higher inc 4 in Mathematics.
International students for whom English is a second language will need to pass IELTS level 8, in addition to meeting the above requirements.
* Good passes in traditional academic subjects are required. Examples include English Literature, History, Mathematics, Politics, Chemistry and modern foreign languages.
* Suitable candidates will be invited to attend a compulsory 30-minute interview and to sit a two-hour admissions test including English, news writing and current affairs knowledge.
English language entry requirements
In order to enter directly onto a degree course. you also need to prove your proficiency in English, and we ask for one of the following:
* average 6.5 in IELTS test, minimum 6.0 in reading and writing
* a TOEFL score of at least 580 including 4.0 reading and writing (paper-based test) or 85 including 19 reading and writing (internet-based test)
* grade C in Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
* grade B in Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English
* international GCSE English as a first language grade C; as a second language grade B.
We also accept some school English certificates.
|CAE score:||75 (Grade B)|
|TOEFL paper-based test score:||580|
|TOEFL iBT® test:||85|